So, I’m sure you have heard of activated charcoal and have seen it in many products like toothpaste, deodorant, and many other skincare products. Just a stroll down the beauty aisle and you will see activated charcoal in several beauty products.
You may ask… what exactly is activated charcoal and is it worth the hype? Well, we are here to help. Since we are a bath and body company, in this article we will focus on the benefits of activated charcoal on the skin.
WHAT IS IT?
Activated charcoal aka activated carbon. Charcoal is heated at a very high temperature and combined with gases to break down the carbon so that it has a large surface area which makes it more porous.
This gives the charcoal absorbing properties which acts like a sponge absorbing odors and impurities.
SKIN BENEFITS OF ACTIVATED CHARCOAL
- The porous properties of activated charcoal helps to give a deep pore cleanse resulting in smooth, supple, and even toned skin.
- It removes impurities and debris from the skin that can lead to pimples and blackheads. On the daily our skin is exposed to dirt, bacteria, and toxins- the activated charcoal works to remove the nasties from our skin leaving it radiantly beautiful. Also, the use of a lot of skin care products and makeup can clog your pores and cause you to have breakouts from the buildup, so using facial cleanser with activated charcoal is a great way to remove these impurities from your skin.
- Activated charcoal has the unique ability to absorb excess oil from the skin like no other regular cleanser. It goes beyond the surface level. It acts like a sponge and goes deep into the pores to soak up the excess oil.
- It has exfoliating properties to refine the skin due to its slightly gritty texture. It acts as a natural exfoliant. It sloughs off dead skin cells without causing irritation or aggravating sensitive skin leaving fresh new skin underneath.
- It can also help to reduce the appearance of pore size and visibility with use over time.
- Activated charcoal also has antibacterial and antifungal properties. That’s why there are several products out there that use activated charcoal to relieve things like foot fungus and body odor and even acne. If you have acne-prone skin, you should consider adding activated charcoal in your arsenal. Activated charcoal kills off the acne causing bacteria and cleanses the skin helping it to soothe existing acne as well as prevent it from forming in the first place.
GOOD FOR ALL SKIN TYPES
Activated charcoal products can be used for all skin types (after all who couldn’t benefit from a great skin detox) especially for those who have oily, acne-prone skin.
For oily, (skin cells that produces too much sebum [oil]), activated charcoal is amazing. Because of its oil absorbing and cleansing properties, people with oily skin will benefit the most. Those with oily skin can benefit from regular use of activated charcoal products.
For those with combination skin types, you have both oily and dry skin. You normally get oily in area like your forehead and nose (your T-zone) and dry in areas like your cheeks. With this skin type, use the activated charcoal, to focus on those areas that get oily to help balance out the skin.
Dry skin lacks moisture so it requires more moisturizing products than cleansing ones. However, even dry skin can benefit from activated charcoal, it just needs to be less frequent. Activated charcoal products that contain nourishing ingredients would be the best.
For those with dry skin like me, combining activated charcoal with moisturizing ingredients like aloe, olive oil, or jojoba oil will provide the best results.
No matter what skin type you have, activated charcoal is a game changer.
If you are ready to start taking advantage of the benefits of activated charcoal, look at our charcoal line that consists of:
Charcoal Lavender Tea Tree Soap which is formulated with tea tree oil for its anti-inflammatory properties for healthy glowing skin.
Charcoal Peppermint Soap this bar helps to cleanse and awakens and refreshes your skin with cool peppermint.
Charcoal Rose Soap this detoxifying bar is combined with rose kaolin clay for removing impurities from your skin.
For an even deep pore cleanse use our Charcoal and Bentonite Clay Mask. Customize your mask experience by combining it with your choice of essential oils or moisturizing carrier oils, like olive or jojoba oil if you have dry skin.